Monday, June 1, 2009

Google Analytics, vanishing profiles, a little hack

I just panicked as my websites vanished from Google Analytics... and breathed in relief.

When you click on that Access Analytics button, you'll get to an Account Overview page. If you have only one account, it'll show (or has shown) the pages belonging to the account. Now, a buddy of mine has granted me a read-only view on another account, so I had now two.

And since mine was named after a certain website (which you'll totally forget by the time you add other websites), some of you websites will magically vanish. And you'll see stats, too, so the confusion is perfect. As a solution, just rename the account to something suitable, like "manfred's pages" or whatever.


Google confused me. Think I should sue them or something. :)


---

Not to whine all the time, Google Analytics is a pretty useful software and collects the data nicely. There is a little hack, that makes it even more useful. GA doesn't display the complete referring link, which makes the finding of who links to you rather imperfect (especially with forums). All applaud this man and his simple instructions how to change it:

Google Analytics Hack - obtaining full referring URL by Reuben Yau

(There are actually two methods mentioned, the first seems safer. Worked for me.)

No comments: